Dr.(Mrs). ATYA KAPLEY
Dr.(Mrs). ATYA KAPLEY
Ph. D , M.Sc. (Life Science)
Environmental Genomics Division (EGD)
Dir L. Line : (0712) 2249883
Phone :(0712) 2249886– 2249885 Ext – 363
Fax No. :(0712) 2249900
Current research interest focusses on the field of environmental genomics. A multi-disciplinary approach is used by combining conventional microbiology tools with bioinformatics and molecular tools to address rising levels of environmental contamination. Specific area of interest relates to the bioremediation of pesticide contaminated soil, and use of metagenomics approach to study microbial communities in activated biomass of wastewater treatment plants with the aim to understand and improve biological treatment capacity. Gene expression studies and quantification analysis are used to analyze the catabolic potential of a contaminated niche as well as to follow the progress of bioremediation. Ongoing studies on microbial diversity analysis are also extrapolated to exploration of antibacterial agents from bacteria.
- Kapley Atya, Tanksale H, Sagarkar S, Prasad AR, Kumar RA, Sharma N, Qureshi A, Purohit HJ.Antimicrobial activity of Alcaligenes sp. HPC 1271 against multidrug resistant bacteria.FunctIntegr Genomics. 2015 Oct 2. [Epub ahead of print
- Sagarkar S, Bhardwaj P, Storck V, Devers-Lamrani M, Martin-Laurent F, Kapley Atya.
- s-triazine degrading bacterial isolate Arthrobacter sp. AK-YN10, a candidate for bioaugmentation of atrazine contaminated soil.ApplMicrobiolBiotechnol. 2015 Sep 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nousiainen AO, Björklöf K, Sagarkar S, Nielsen JL, Kapley A, Jørgensen KS.
- Bioremediation strategies for removal of residual atrazine in the boreal groundwater zone.ApplMicrobiolBiotechnol. 2015 Aug 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Atya Kapley, Ruyin Liu, Niti B Jadeja, Yu Zhang, Min Yang, Hemant J Purohit. Shifts in microbial community and its correlation with degradative efficiency in a wastewater treatment plant. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology: Volume 176, Issue 8 (2015), Page 2131-2143
- Pooja Bhardwaj, Abhinav Sharma, SnehaSagarkar, Atya Kapley. Mapping atrazine and phenol degradation genes in Pseudomonas sp. EGD-AKN5. Biochemical Engineering Journal, In Press, Corrected Proof, 2015
- Trilok Chandra Yadav, Rajesh Ramavadh Pal, SunitaShastri, Niti B. Jadeja, Atya Kapley. Comparative metagenomics demonstrating different degradative capacity of activated biomass treating hydrocarbon contaminated wastewater. Bioresour Technol. 2015 Feb 14. pii: S0960-8524(15)00207-2. doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2015.01.141.
- Niti B Jadeja, Ravi P More, Hemant J Purohit, Atya Kapley. Metagenomic analysis of oxygenases from activated sludge. Bioresource Technology 165:250-256. doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2014.02.
- Leena Agarwal, Asifa Qureshi, Vipin Chandra Kalia, Atya Kapley, Hemant J. Purohit, R. N. Singh. Arid ecosystem: Future option for carbon sinks using microbial community intelligence. Current Science, (Accepted in March) 2014
- Trilok Chandra Yadav, Anshuman A. Khardenavis, Atya Kapley. Shifts in microbial community in response to dissolved oxygen levels in activated sludge. Bioresource Technology 165:257-64 doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2014.03.007
- SnehaSagarkar, Aura Nousiainen, Shraddha Shaligram, Katarina Björklöf, Kristina Lindström, Kirsten S. Jørgensen, Atya Kapley. Soil mesocosm studies on atrazine bioremediation. J Environ Manage. 2014 Jun 15;139:208-16. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2014.02.016
- Aura O. Nousiainen, Katarina Björklöf, SnehaSagarkar, Shinjini Mukherjee, Hemant J. Purohit, Atya Kapley, Kirsten S. Jørgensen. Atrazine degradation in boreal non-agricultural subsoil and tropical agricultural soil. Journal Soil Sediments, June 2014, Volume 14, Issue 6, pp 1179-1188
- Sagarkar S, Bhardwaj P, Yadav TC, Qureshi A, Khardenavis A, Purohit HJ, Kapley A (2014) .Draft genome sequence of atrazine-utilizing bacteria isolated from Indian agricultural soil. Genome Announc.2(1).pii: e01149-13. doi: 10.1128/genomeA.01149-13.
- Qureshi A, Itankar Y, Ojha R, Mandal M, Khardenavis A, Kapley A,Purohit HJ. (2014). Genome Sequence of Lactobacillus plantarum EGD-AQ4, Isolated from Fermented Product of Northeast India. Genome Announc. 2(1). pii: e01122-13. doi: 10.1128/genomeA.01122-13.
- Puranik S, Talkal R, Qureshi A, Khardenavis A, Kapley A,Purohit HJ. (2014). Genome Sequence of the Pigment-Producing Bacterium Pseudogulbenkianiaferrooxidans, Isolated from Loktak Lake.Genome Announc.1(6).pii: e01115-13. doi: 10.1128/genomeA.01115-13.
- Ravi P. More, SuparnaMitra, Sajan C. Raju, Atya Kapley, Hemant J. Purohit (2014) Mining and assessment of catabolic pathways in the metagenome of a common effluent treatment plant to induce the degradative capacity of biomass. Bioresource Technology 153 (2014) 137–146 doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2013.11.065.
- Atya Kapley, SnehaSagarkar, HimgouriTanksale, Nandita Sharma, Asifa Qureshi, AnshumanKhardenavis, Hemant J Purohit(2013) Genome Sequence of Alcaligenes sp. Strain HPC1271.Genome announcements. 01/2013; 1(1) doi:pii: e00235-12, 2013
- SnehaSagarkar , Shinjini Mukherjee, Aura Nousiainen, Katarina Björklöf, Hemant J. Purohit , Kirsten S. Jørgensen, Atya Kapley, (2013) Monitoring bioremediation of atrazine in soil microcosms using molecular tools. Environmental Pollution 172, 108-115
- SampadaPuranik , Shraddha Shaligram, VasundharaPaliwal, Dhananjay V. Raje, Atya Kapley, Hemant J. Purohit (2012) Demonstration of sequential adaptation strategy for developing salt tolerance in bacteria for wastewater treatment: A study using Escherichia coli as model. Bioresource Technology 121 (2012) 282–289
- Sharma, N., Tanksal, H., Kapley, A., Purohit, H.J. (2012). Mining the metagenome of activated biomass of an industrial wastewater treatment plant by a novel method. Indian Journal of Microbiology, 52(4), 538-543, DOI 10.1007/s12088-012-0263-1
- Asifa Qureshi, Atya Kapley, Hemant J. Purohit (2012). Degradation of 2,4,6-Trinitrophenol (TNP) by Arthrobacter sp.HPC1223 Isolated from Effluent Treatment Plant. Indian J Microbiol 52, Issue 4, 642-647. DOI 10.1007/s12088-012-0288-5
- Chandra R, Naresh Bharagava R, Kapley A, Purohit HJ (2012) Characterization of Phragmitescummunis rhizosphere bacterial communities and metabolic products during the two stage sequential treatment of post methanated distillery effluent by bacteria and wetland plants. Bioresource Technology 103(1):78-86 (IF: 4.365)
- S. Venkata Mohan, Agarwal, L, Mohanakrishna, S G.. Srikanth, Kapley, A, Purohit, HJ, Sarma P.N. (2011) Firmicutes with iron dependent hydrogenase drive hydrogen production in anaerobic bioreactor using distillery wastewater. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36:(14),8234-8242 (IF: 4.407)
- Selvakumaran S, Kapley A, Kashyap SM, Daginawala HF, Kalia VC, Purohit HJ. (2011) Diversity of aromatic ring-hydroxylating dioxygenase gene in Citrobacter. Bioresource Technology, 102 (7): 4600-4609 (IF: 4.365)
- Verma V, Raju SC, Kapley A, Kalia VC, Kanade GS, Daginawala HF, Purohit HJ. (2011) Degradative potential of Stenotrophomonas strain HPC383 having genes homologous to dmp operon. Bioresource Technology 102:3227-33. (IF: 4.365)
- Chandra R, Bharagava RN, Kapley A, Purohit HJ. (2011) Bacterial diversity, organic pollutants and their metabolites in two aeration lagoons of common effluent treatment plant (CETP) during the degradation and detoxification of tannery wastewater. Bioresource Technology 102: 2333-41. (IF: 4.365)
- Vinita Verma, Sajan C. Raju, Atya Kapley, Vipin Chandra Kalia, Hatim F. Daginawala, Hemant J. Purohit. Evaluation of genetic and functional diversity of Stenotrophomonas isolates from diverse effluent treatment plants. Bioresource Technology, 101: 7744-7753, 2010 (IF: 4.365)
- Anshuman A Khardenavis, Atya Kapley, Hemant J Purohit
- Salicylic-Acid-Mediated Enhanced Biological Treatment of Wastewater.Applied Biochemistry Biotechnology, 160: 704-718, 2010 (IF: 1.879)
- NishantDafale, Leena Agrawal, Atya Kapley, SudhirMeshram, Hemant Purohit, Satish Wate
- Selection of indicator bacteria based on screening of 16S rDNA metagenomic library from a two-stage anoxic–oxic bioreactor system degrading azo dyes
- Bioresource Technology, 101: 476-484, 2010 (IF: 4.365)
Indian Environmental Standards© by NEERI
Environmental ImpactAssessment© by I. K. International Publishing House Pvt. Ltd.
Industrial Pollution and Environmental Management © by Trivedy& Raman, 2003